Contact Information

Director General
Mr. Edmond Jackson
Tel No.:(784) 457-1343
PBX No.:(784) 456-1111
Ext No: 368
Fax No:(784) 457-2943


The Ministry of Finance is located on the 2nd Floor of the Financial Complex


Ministry of Finance

P.O.Box 608


St. Vincent and the Grenadines



Returning Nationals
Article Index
Returning Nationals
page 2
All Pages

Who Qualifies for Duty Free Concessions for Returning  Nationals?

Vincentians who have lived abroad for at least ten years and have returned to take up permanent residence in St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Goods Imported by a Returning National Include:

Personal or household effects (whether new or used) and one motor vehicle (but not a truck).  The goods may be purchased abroad and shipped here or may be bought locally from a supplier in SVG who operates a private (tax free) warehouse.

Concessions Granted to Returning Nationals

Returning residents scheme---implemented 17/6/96----

This exemption is geared towards encouraging Vincentian citizens who have been living outside of St Vincent and the Grenadines for a period of ten years or more, and,  preparing to relocate to their country, to do so with little hassle and without incurring high costs associated with Customs duties and taxes.

This concession exempt persons from all import duties and consumption taxes on all household furniture, whether new or used. These include beds, living room sets, televisions, vcrs, stoves fridges. Also, persons may import a motor vehicle (not including trucks, pickups, busses or vans) of their choice and receive seventy-five percent waiver of the import duty and Consumption Tax.

Restrictions on a Returning National

  1. Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they resided abroad for at least ten years – you may be required to show proof of this.  Documents relating to your time abroad will support your claim (e.g. pay slips; records of school, college or University attendance; bank statements; employment records; visas, work permits, residence permits etc.).
  2. Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they intend to make a permanent home in St. Vincent and the Grenadines – you may be required to show evidence of this. Documents such as house purchase contract; mortgage  agreements; land titles; planning permission for house construction; documents showing the setting up of a business or employment contracts will help your claim.
  3. One motor vehicle only is allowed under the concession for each household.
  4. The vehicle must be owned by you and registered in your name.
  5. The items must be for your own use and kept by you. None of the items may be sold, traded, bartered, given away or disposed of in any way to any other person for and incur fines; imprisonment and seizure of the goods period for a period of 4 years. Permission must be granted by the Comptroller of Customs before any goods (including vehicles) may be disposed of within the four year period and all normal taxes must be paid –failure to do so is a serious offence and may lead to imprisonment.
  6. Only one set or item of a particular type of household goods and personal effects that you would reasonably need to equip your home may be brought  under the concession (e.g. you may bring in one TV, one Microwave, one DVD player etc). Additional items may be charged at the full rate of duty.
  7. You must apply with one year of returning or moving to St. Vincent and the Grenadines.